New York native Moira Kelly, well-known as the voice of Nala in Disney's The Lion King, and as Kate Moseley in the 1992 romantic comedy The Cutting Edge, has captivated film and television audiences worldwide with her voice, beauty, and talent since the early '90s. On television, she is recognized as Mandy Hampton, media consultant of President Josiah Bartlett (played by Martin Sheen), in the first season of The West Wing.
In 1992, Moira got her first leading role in The Cutting Edge as the rich, spoiled champion figure skater Kate Moseley, who was partnered with skillful and arrogant hockey player Doug Dorsey (played by D.B. Sweeney). That same year, she landed her first major role alongside Robert Downey, Jr. in Richard Attenborough's Charlie Chaplin biography, Chaplin.
On television, Moira's first stint as a series regular came in 1998 as she played the newly-wed Annie Cornell on the short-lived CBS romantic family drama To Have & To Hold. The following year, she starred as White House media consultant Dr. Madeline Hampton on The West Wing.
Work on One Tree Hill
As well as appearing as Karen Roe, Kelly has also directed the following episodes
- Kelly was pregnant during the first season which was why Karen was sent to cooking school.
- Listed as one of twelve "Promising New Actors of 1992" in John Willis' Screen World, Vol. 44.
- When cast in David Lynch's Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me (1992), she came home to get permission from her priest to do her first sexual scene.
- She narrated the audio book for "jacob have I loved".
- She was initially contracted to play Polly Pry, the female lead in Trey Parker's Alferd Packer: The Musical (1993) but pulled out because she feared it would damage her serious movie career.
- Was originally cast as Kit Keller in A League of Their Own (1992), but hurt her ankle on the set of The Cutting Edge (1992). The role of Kit was given to Lori Petty.
- Her husband is a Texas businessman and she has two children by him. Her daughter is named Ella and was born in 2001, her son is named Eamon and was born in 2003.
- Was cast by director James Gray in Little Odessa (1994) because he was impressed by her performance in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me (1992).
- During the shooting of the film The Cutting Edge (1992) she spent over two months in figure skate training with her co-star D.B. Sweeney, they became close friends and remain so to this day.
- She is Irish-American.